Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stories from Day One in Ohfunato

I spent the day interpreting for a team of All Hands Volunteers staff members who were talking to people in one of the many shelters here in Ohfunato.  The idea is to get a first-hand account of how damaged their homes are and what (if anything) the incoming team of volunteers can do to help these people.  Here are some stories I heard.  Quick side note:  put yourself in my shoes as I hear these stories and have to find a way to repeat them without getting choked up.  I could do it today but I also know I’m running on pure adrenaline.

Family A:  The black wall of water poured over the river bank.  We were standing in our kitchen during the earthquake and saw the water coming towards us.  We ran outside into our neighbor’s back yard.  My 82-year old father climbed up a tree while my mother and I climbed up a big rock.  The water stopped several feet away from us.  We just bought our house 6 months ago and don’t have the money to do the necessary repairs.  We aren’t taking out the insulation from underneath all of the floor boards because we can’t afford to replace them.  We’ll just wait for the floors to rot out before we replace them.

Family B:  The water came into the house and covered the entire first floor with about four feet of water and mud.  Once the wave receded, it left an inch of mud on everything.

Mr. C:  I’m 86 years old.  I have 14 more years before I live to be one hundred and I’m going to do it.  Look!  (He gets up and shows us how spry he is.)  The water came into the house.  It was black.  It came up to my chin.  My arm was caught in the bed so I was floating in the water for two hours while I was kicking and flailing.  If the water had risen another 20 cm I would have died.  I didn’t though.  That’s how I know I’m meant to live to be 100.

Family D:  We felt the earthquake and ran out of the house and down the street.  People started yelling there was a tsunami coming.  I can’t run very well because I’m 84, you know.  I turned around and this huge black wave was coming towards us and it had all this junk in it.  I ran up the stairs of this restaurant at the side of the road and watched the water roar down the street.  Once the water receded, I went to the shelter and have been here ever since.

This is day one.  I’m here until the end of May.  I’m overwhelmed, amazed at the will to live, the desire to return to a normal life all while knowing if they walk 2km down to the harbor the devastation is still there.  It’s a surreal place to be.  I wish you could see it.

Off to bed in three hours as I’ve been up almost 40 hours.  Exhausted and yet invigorated.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping these people tell their amazing stories. What you are doing for them is important - I am glad to share you with them to help them through this.

    For anyone who's not sure why Amya would be up for 40 hours straight, she can't seem to sleep sitting up on any kind of vehicle in motion (Amya's my wife of 21 years). She would have been awake for the entire bus ride to Rikuzentakata knowing that she would have to hit the ground running when she arrived.

    Darling, just be sure to take care of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Amya from Margaret, Roy and Sarah, We are reading your blog and are so grateful that you have your computer and internet access. We are proud of what you are doing and are happy to know that you are able to function outside your comfort zone. I shared your story with my small group of ladies at church this morning. They join us in praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much sadness. Take comfort in knowing that you are helping to bring relief. Every little thing counts. A touch, a smile, even a tear.

    ReplyDelete