Thursday, April 21, 2011

A most unusual (?) request

This is what keeps me going.  We were asked to help out a calligraphy teacher today.  He lives/ed maybe 300 meters from the coast and Port of Ofunato and an entire chunk of his house was taken out by the wave.  The home in front of his was sheared off at the foundation.  There's a little toy ambulance perched on the concrete foundation. 

We were asked to locate one specific item in the calligrapher's house.  It's called a suzuri.  It's a grinding stone used by calligraphers to create their own ink.  I don't know enough about Japanese calligraphy (shodo) to understand the significance of this, but he was quite specific.  This is all he wanted.

The floor was covered with debris and mud.  He had already looked through the house several times and while he found several other suzuris he wanted this one in particular.  We said "yes" with the assumption it would be futile.

An hour an a half later, we found it shoved under a folded over bit of flooring.  The calligrapher cried and we all smiled.  To us this was a "little" thing but to him this was huge.  He said to me "I'm okay losing my home now that I've found this."  What do I say to this?  I asked him to continue his beautiful calligraphy work.

This is what makes being here worthwhile.  Between the toy ambulance someone found and put out for some child to hopefully pick up and a man finding one of his most valued possessions this was a good day.  I want more of these.  I haven't laughed and grinned like this in a long time.  Joy!

3 comments:

  1. David asked for my response to your latest entry on my Facebook page. I responded briefly.........The Four Treasures: ink, paper, brush, inkstone. Of these, the suzuri is considered the most important. Like a Monk's very few possessions, if a calligrapher has his inkstone, he (or she) can survive/live, give life to his work. Calligraphers often have many suzuri. Of the four treasures, since it is stone, it is the only one which could survive a tsunami etc. A much longer discourse on inkstones could be written of course, but Amya has unearthed the object which embodies the life force of one person in Japan. That is a treasure for life. Please send to me an address eventually........I would love to send a message to "your" calligrapher. Bless you Amya for doing the work of the kami for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great story, followed with a great comment. Thanks Amaya for sharing the story and Rona for sharing the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should really not be reading this at work. i'm currently trying to perform the duties of a reference librarian in a public library. someone will walk up in a moment and see the tears welling up in my eyes as i read through your blog. thank you for sharing your stories and photos and putting very specific faces on this enormous tragedy. This particular story of success is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete