Monday, April 25, 2011

My "Lord Person"

In Japanese, the proper way for a wife to reference her husband in public is to call him her "lord person."  There's a word for "husband" as well, but this isn't used in the same way.  I've told my husband about this "lord person" bit years ago and of course he loves it.  The proper way for a man to refer to his wife in public, and for those of you who don't speak Japanese you'll just have to take my word for it, the word is "inside-the-house."  I have long ago told my husband I'll refer to him my "lord person" in Japan but under no circumstances does he ever get to call me his "inside-the-house."  We laugh about this all the time.

As I meet and talk with people here in Japan many, almost all in fact, ask how my family feels about me being here.  I give my "lord person" a lot of credit saying he's very supportive, patient and encouraged me to go, giving me only one condition.  I have to come back home.

I spoke with him for an hour this morning (thank you, Vonage!) and he told me to tell everyone who has supported me over the past month that he, too, appreciates the generosity, kindness and acceptance of those who have given me a safe place to be.  Please know being away from my "lord person" is possible only because I have people around me who will go beyond the extra mile to make sure I'm well taken care of, fed, pampered and given a space to laugh and cry.  For this, my "lord person" and I are truly humbled, grateful and in awe.  Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you write something more humerous and pleasant, glad you're in an organization that gives you a break and doesn't just drain you till you are dry.

    ReplyDelete