Friday, April 15, 2011

"Good things come to those who wait"....unless your house has been washed away by a tsunami?

Good news, bad news.

Good news first.  I was interviewed by CNN today.  I am relieved, strengthened and comforted to know there are news sources (giant ones at that) who still want to cover Japan and that will share with the world what's going on here.  At the risk of repeating myself, the disaster in Japan is far more than the nuclear issue.  I'm thrilled.  I'm grateful.  I'm optimistic.  I haven't felt this good in a long time.

Bad news.  People here don't share this optimism.  I spoke to someone today who says everyone he knows lost someone close to them.  It may have been a friend, a relative or a close family member.  I'm enjoying my small, yet not insignificant success.  Am I doing this at their expense?  I'm trying not to.

I spoke to a man today who said he's lost 12 pounds in a month.  I know plenty of people (myself included) who would be thrilled with this kind of weight loss.  I would argue we would all agree losing weight like this isn't how we would choose to do so.

So, my good news is good news for me.  I was given today the Japanese saying "good things come to those who wait" and I can only wonder how that applies to the Japanese.  I hope, hopefully, please, please, please, this applies to those here, too.  I'm willing to start small.  I'm willing to start by making the lives of those whom I connect with everyday just the slightest bit easier.  My hope is this kind of exposure will keep people remembering.  Japan has many years of recovery ahead.  Don't let this get pushed to the pages in the back of your local newspaper.  Keep spreading the word.  We all need all the help we can get. 

Oh, and don't forget to watch CNN.  Not for me, but because they're willing to keep the light focused on Japan in the most meaningful way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment