Monday, April 25, 2011

The kindness of strangers

I knew very soon after I started this blog I was reaching many people I knew I would never meet.  At the risk of a showing a bit of bravado, this blog has hit many, many, many countries and multiple times at that.  I'm thrilled with how you're all spreading the word and want to be sure you are all properly thanked and feel the gratitude I have for helping to keep those affected by the tsunami on peoples' radar screens.

Those of you whom I don't know are, for a lack of a better word, strangers.  I'll likely never know who you are.  We won't meet.  We won't go out to lunch.  There have been some, however, and we're still talking about "strangers" here, who have gone above and beyond what normally people do for other strangers (as in me).  Case in point:  I have yet to pay for a meal here in Tokyo.  The only thing I've spent money on is taxis and bottles of milk tea I buy out of vending machines.  Everything else (and I do mean everything) has been paid for by "strangers" who want me to have a relaxing time in Tokyo.

I have multiple homes I can stay at for free and with no strings attached.  People feed me.  People send food home with me.  People drive me around.  People make appointments for me.  People listen.  People cry with me.  People give me something else to think about by inviting me out to a movie.  People wine and dine me.  People give advice.  People ask good questions.  People care.  Of course not all of these "people" are strangers.  Some I've known for years.  Others, however, are friends of friends who have read this blog and make guacamole for me.  (JOY!!!) 

I went to Iwate and started this blog for very specific reasons.  I wanted to provide a first-hand, on-the-ground account of what I'm seeing, feeling, observing and hearing for those of you back home.  It was an easy way to hit all of my family and friends at one time with the same information.  That it has turned into my own little therapy tool where I can write to people I don't know with brutal honesty has been an unexpected and yet most welcome surprise.  That those of you who have read this show me the kind of generosity, kindness, support and friendship you have over the past several days--this, too, is an unexpected and most definitely welcome surprise.  I'm truly humbled and grateful.  Thank you so much.

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog. You are a wonderful soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make guacamole for you anytime!!! And next month we'll watch "Out of Sight" for sure!

    ReplyDelete