Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More irrational anger

This won't make sense either.  Nor should it be confused with "anger at God" because in my mind at least, there's a very clear differentiation between God and Mother Nature.  I'm angry at the latter.

It's spring here in Iwate.  Plum trees are blooming.  Daffodils are in full bloom with a bright, mustard yellow.  It's windy.  We wear jackets but could probably do without them if necessary.  It's really beautiful.  Until, that is, I get down towards the Port of Ofunato and drive through Rikuzentakata.  Nature, the power of giant waves wiped out city blocks, multiple square kilometers and (in my most patronizing voice possible) "made a real mess of things."  How it is then this same power of nature can make flowers bloom and in general "make things pretty"?  I don't get it.  I know it's not for me to understand, but it does make me angry.  On the one hand we have devastation caused by giant waves.  On the other hand, we have daffodils.  This randomness of nature, or what to looks to me to be so random, is a slap in the face (for me, at least).

As a child, I was taught to clean up my room and pick up after myself.  I just want to say the same thing to Mother Nature:  "You made this mess, now you clean it up.  Daffodils don't cut it."

Like I said, this doesn't make any sense.  I get that.  I figured if I let it out here I might be able to avoid stomping on daffodils.

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't make any sense. I have thought a lot about daffodils since you first wrote about them. I think they are speaking to you. I don't know what they are saying. Maybe they will be the title for your book.

    ReplyDelete