Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Resolve

Everyday I see someone or something that impresses me all over again.  The resolve of the Japanese to return to some sense of normalcy is phenomenal.  Everyone is trying.  While many are still obviously in a state of shock it amazes me to see the effort people are putting into making life as normal as possible.

I saw today a boy of about five carrying his sister, maybe three years old, on his back, piggy-back style.  He walked past me on a sidewalk and called out a hearty "good morning" and I said "good morning" back and added "you're a strong boy, aren't you?"  He smiled and kept walking.  I had to turn away.  I had to control my tears.

To see children being strong, not just physically but emotionally, breaks my heart while moving me to try harder.  The simple "if they can do it, so can I" rings truer now, more than ever in my life.

What would make a boy so young take charge in helping his sister like this?  I hope the image I've just described is something you can imagine and keep with you.  I know it will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment