Saturday, March 26, 2011

How this all began

When the earthquake struck off the coast of Sendai on March 11th, it brought down much of the towns up and down the eastern coast of Honshu.  Then the waves came, washing away people, buildings, cars, houses and more.  We've seen the video clips.  They're horrific.

Then came the news about the damaged Fukushima Nuclear Plant.  All hell broke loose with the world worrying about impending doom.  I'm not trying to make light of how serious a nuclear meltdown can be.  Not at all.  I'm simply trying to outline facts.  For now, at least. 

I started making and getting calls several days after the 11th asking if I could/would be willing to go to Japan to help with the relief efforts.  I'll write more about this particular process later.  Fast forward two weeks after the 11th and I have word I am leaving for Japan on the 31st for two months.  I'm going.  This is real.

I will be working with a Boston-based relief organization called All Hands Volunteers (www.hands.org).  I will be in Rikuzentakata and Ohfunato, two towns essentially wiped out by the tsunami.  I'm going with the realization I don't really know what I'm getting into but that I can contribute to at least some relief. 

This blog will be an ongoing journal of my time in Japan as well as the days leading up to my departure.  I already have a lot to say and assume I will have much to report once I'm there.  I promise to be honest.  I promise to not capitalize on the pain of those I see.  I promise I will not mince words.  I promise I will try to remain objective.  I promise to be grateful as often as I can.

Consider this your cordial invitation to spend the next two months with me as I go through something I cannot possibly prepare for and experience seeing devastation first hand.  My goal is to show you what's really going on in Japan.  In return, I ask for two things:  spread the word and help any way you can.  I have thoughts on both which I will share in subsequent postings.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Amya, this is Amy! I hooked you up with Lili (the United employee)! I'm so glad things are working out with the tickets (knock on wood) and you're being connected to people who can and will help! As I told Miki, please let me know if you come to the Seattle area as we'd love to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy!!

    May I just go on record and say you ROCK!!
    My family lives in Seattle. I will definitely let you know when I'm there. I would love to meet and thank you in person. Thank you so much! You're a godsend......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlfriend, you name the date(s) and time(s) and Lili and I will be there with bells on! (Don't think that's just a saying--we'll really wear bells if you want us to!)

    ReplyDelete