Monday, March 28, 2011

The Giving Tree

Read this and weep.  Here is a list of organizations and individuals who have, to date, moved mountains.  Don't tell me people don't care.  Don't tell me people aren't willing to do the right thing.

Organizations:

United Airlines
Apple
Target
Sephora
Backpacker Magazine
Keen
Mountain Hardware

Individuals:

  • Miki put me in touch with Amy who put me in touch with United Airlines (who created a minor miracle)
  • Annette sent me clothes to wear (I'm not an outdoors kind of girl) while I muck around in tsunami-disaster areas
  • Annette also got Keen and Backpacker Magazine to donate gear for me
  • Michelle gave me her hiking backpack as well as a jar of peanut butter, a jacket and other goodies
  • Christine is sending supplies
  • Diane is sending toiletries
  • Doug is sending a whole load of donations
  • Niho sent out an e-mail to 600 people asking for contributions to www.hands.org and for donations for me to take along
  • Judy came through with a ton of little bars of soap and a bucket full of toothbrushes
  • Becca brought protein bars, Band-aids toothbrushes and more
  • Murasaki (whom I met for the first time yesterday) gave me a ton of money with which to buy diapers and other necessities
  • Youko, whom I haven't seen in 20 years is sending cash to spend on relief supplies
  • Beth, my dear NY friend whom I haven't seen in 10 years also sent money for relief supplies
  • Rona gave me a duffel bag, blankets, clothing and toiletries
  • Dave came bearing a duffel bag (your daughters are gorgeous!)
  • Amy's 4th grade students are writing letters for me to take along to children in Japan
  • Jill is coming over with more supplies
  • My mother is sending a check
  • My aunt is sending a check
  • I asked my mother-in-law for a donation (try to understand how huge this is for me) and she's contributing
  • My sister-in-law is sending a check
  • My dear friend Becca whom I haven't seen in 20 years is sending a check
  • Jason is bringing an extra duffel bag 
Then there are those who want to help by writing articles or posting information on their Twitter account.  I can't make this up.  People are coming out of nowhere.  I'm impressed in ways I can't even begin to describe.

Chew on this.  I stopped going to church several years ago.  The pastor has no idea who I am but I wrote to the church anyway and asked them to help with donating toiletries.   I've already gotten help.

People are amazing.  Don't let them tell you otherwise.  It's an honor for me to be in the middle of this watching it all unfold.  Seriously.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment