Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ode to my husband

People say I'm lucky.  I am.  My husband of over twenty years is still my best friend.  After returning from a friend's wedding today I am reminded of this over and over again.

I've been told in leaving home for seven weeks and then again for another three, I am "leaving him behind."  This isn't quite accurate.  Neither is the sentiment that he "lets" me go.  We have long ago given each other a lot of freedom.  It's with this in mind that today I write this celebrating him, what he's done for me, who he is and what he continues to mean to me.  I would not have been able to go to Iwate without his complete understanding and neither would I be returning without his total support.  For the freedom he gives to me and more, I am humbled.  This is why he deserves to be recognized here.

Dear husband,

You are my port to my ship.  I sail away but know always where home is.  You provide consistency, a home, a port to which I bop in and out of.  I know where my port is.  I know you are always there.

You are my Jimmy Page to my Robert Plant.  Quiet and unassuming, you let me dance around on stage (figuratively speaking, of course) and do my thing.  We make good music together.  You are very good at what you do, and your skills compliment mine.  You are always present with me as we go from city to city, experiencing the old and new.

You are the produce section in my supermarket.  I never know what to expect but there is always a most interesting selection from which to choose.  Some of what you provide is sweet; you mix this in with other flavors and always keep me guessing and hoping.

You are the boulder to my weather.  I am the fickle weather, sometimes sunny, other times pouring rain.  You let me be the wind and snow and are always present through the myriad of my weather patterns.  You are constant.  You are my rock.

You are the engine to my car.  You provide me with the power to run.  So long as I provide the fuel, you provide the energy to keep me going.  Without you, I'm a shell made up of various parts.  As my engine you give me the source from which to use these parts.

Partnership with harmony, individuality within a duo, and the long leash with which you let me run all make us a unique pair.  There is no one quite like you and for that, for you, for us, I am truly, truly grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Amya! I feel the same way about my wife. There's nothing like having a fantastic partner!

    ReplyDelete