Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The last four days: Part 3, Ofunato-bound

I left for Ofunato with mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I wanted peace of mind.  On the other hand, I wasn't sure how I would react to seeing torn up buildings again.  I wanted to be around certain people.  I wanted to avoid others.  I wanted to continue listening.  I knew some of what I would hear would tear open wounds that had only recently begun to heal.

The answers lie in Ofunato.  Closure (a much overused word in my opinion) wouldn't come until I dealt with what I left behind.  Knowing this is one thing.  Actually dealing with it head on is entirely another matter.  But...not being one to avoid conflict (albeit one deeply rooted in my psyche) I woke myself up at 4:30 to catch a 6:15am bullet train.

My recipe for happiness =  excitement - dread;  healing + tears;  sound sleep > dreams;  commitment + people/places/causes I love.  Not sharing a love of numbers or numerical symbols, I don't know how to express this last one "mathematically" so I will resort to my forte, words.  Very little else in life would make me happier than to see Tohoku at peace with itself, its past and its future.

No comments:

Post a Comment