Sunday, July 3, 2011

The last four days: Part 5, No room at the inn(s)

When scheduling my trip to Ofunato, I asked some friends to help me find a hotel.  I wanted privacy.  I wanted to be alone.  I was willing to pay to get this.

Then came the answer.  There were no rooms available anywhere in Ofunato.  How is this possible?  I have no way of explaining this phenomenon.  I don't understand this but I'm also faced with the realization I have to find a place to stay.  I contact the volunteer organization I worked with previously and asked for a spot on the floor.  They agreed.  Then comes another realization.  I have no sleeping bag, no mat to sleep on and, of course, I forget my pajamas in Tokyo so I now have to decide whether I'll sleep in my clothes on the floor, alongside other volunteers (some of whom I know, others whom I don't) or come up with Plan B. 

There's always another way, albeit this time my thinking-outside-the-box ability failed me.  The suggestion came in the form of a carefully worded question from a friend:  "Would you be willing to stay in a love hotel?"

A love hotel, for those of you who don't know, is, let's just say, a place where couples go to get some "privacy" which, of course is code for a hidden spot to have an affair, or a place for a quickie.  In other words, people don't stay in a love hotel alone.  Rooms are rented by the hour, for several hours, or by the night and different rates apply for differing lengths of stay.

I ponder this suggestion.  I laugh.  I can sleep on the floor in my clothes or I can sleep in a bed in a room reserved for sex.  Swallowing my pride and definitely recognizing the humor in what I'm about to do, I find my way to a love hotel, and stay the night.  By myself.  Only me.  I watch television, looking around at the room, and laugh at the absurdity of it all. 

I wanted unique experiences?  I'm certainly getting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment